Sunday, November 14, 2010

Birth Story

I know everyone has been waiting for the gory details of Lilly's birth. Its been almost two months so I thought I should do it before I forget. Lilly is sleeping right now and Emily is watching tv so lets see how far I get.
Well...I had been having contractions for weeks and was eager to go to the doctor to see if they were dilating me. I had a appointment on September 17th and was 2 cm dilated and she said she could feel the head so it wouldn't take much to get her out. After my appointment we went apple picking. Normally we take the wagon but this time we walked the orchard because I hoped it would put me into labor. That whole weekend that followed I was losing pieces of my mucus plug and my contractions were getting stronger and keeping me up at night. I knew I was going to be having Lilly sometime that week. Wed. night I called my mom to let her know that my contraction were pretty strong and getting closer together and to keep her phone by her bed. I didn't sleep all night, my contractions were about 7 mins. apart, I was bleeding and had diarrhea. At 3 am on September 23rd I woke Bob up to let him know that I was going to call the doctor. The doctor said that I should come in because things move so fast when it's your second baby. I really didn't think that I was actually going to be admitted because with Emily I was sent home 4 times before they admitted me so we took our time getting ready to leave. When we got to the ER we even left all my birthing stuff I packed in the car. When we got to the maternity ward they checked me and I was 4 cm. we waited awhile (kind of just waiting for them to tell us to go home). The nurse came in with an IV and I asked if I was being admitted and she said yes I was having this baby today. I cried because I wasn't ready yet.
I wanted to get my epidural right away, so it was probably around 6:30 am when I got it. Because of the epidural my contractions had slowed so they were giving me pitocin (sp?) and broke my water around 8 am. The sight of the hook that they break you water with and breaking my water made me woozy and I was going to puke so they put Zofran in my IV to help with the nausea. Lilly's heart rate was getting low with every contraction so they were giving me oxygen.
My contractions were getting super strong and I felt the head coming down and it made me want to push but they didn't want me to because I wasn't all the way dilated yet, this was around 10 am I remember because Ellen was on TV. I was 7 cm and the said I would probably start pushing at 11 am. I was trying so hard not to push when I had the contractions but they hurt so bad and the epidural wasn't doing much help at this point. It was probably around 10:30 am when I told Bob I couldn't take it anymore and he needed to get a nurse cause I really really needed to push. The doctor and the nurses came in and were telling me a bunch of stuff about what to do but I have no idea what they said cause I just wanted to push. So I did. I was only 9 cm dilated but they let me push. With every push Lilly's heart rate was getting lower and lower so the doctor took out the scissors and well you know did some cutting and pulled her out at 10:51 am. I only had to push 3 times which was awesome, the cutting not so much. Lilly weighed 6 pounds 6 oz. and was 20 inches long with a head full of hair.
The plan was that my sister Diana was supposed to be there for the birth to get pictures of the birth but she was so excited at 4 am when she found out I was in the hospital that she didn't sleep. She was so tired she feel asleep on her phone and never heard us texting her to come to the hospital, plus everything happened so quickly she probably would have never made it on time. But she was there shortly after to take pictures and meet her new niece.
Bob went to pick Emily up from school and bring her up to the hospital to meet her new sister. She was so excited.
We left the hospital the following day because I felt awesome and Lilly was doing well.
Things are doing well now. I had some depression but I am doing well now on some medication.
Lilly sleeps great during the day. We are working on the night. I know it will come with time.


  1. Great birth story! Thank you for sharing :)

  2. and also mention that Auntie Dee Dee felt TERRIBLE for sleeping thru it all :(